Thursday, March 4, 2010

On Stigmatizing By Twittering

Recently I've been seeing on Twitter these people saying things like:

"There's no cure 4 sexually transmitted viral diseases HIV & herpes. How's adultry working 4 U? #tcot #abstinence"

"one-fourth of sexually active teens have been infected with an #STI. How's sexual perversion working 4 U? #tcot #abstinence"

"Two-thirds of all #STDs occur in people who are 25 years of age or younger. How's fornication working 4 U? #tcot #abstinence"

It's all well and good to promote abstinence. However, there is one HUGE problem with these tweets: Not all of us who have an STD is a pervert, adulterer or adultress, or fornicator. These tweets promote that idea, and lead to stigma against those of us who, through no fault of our own, have gotten an STD.

When I was three, I used a restroom at Disneyland, and, being a kid, put my hands on my face. I did not understand that germs spread in public places, and especially in bathrooms. I ended up with Herpes Simplex 1, with lesions on my face, arms, and legs.

About a year ago, I must have put my fingers in my mouth and touched a cold sore before using the restroom. As a result, I ended up with Herpes Simplex 2.

I'm not a big fan of those who tell me that I must have done something wrong, and God is punishing me. I don't believe that. To hear you say that is like telling me that God doesn't love me. He does, I know He does. It just hurts to hear people telling me He doesn't. When I see people using these tweets, spreading these lies about me, and others like me, I get angry, I get upset, I get depressed, and I cry. I am not an adultress, a fornicator, or a pervert. I am a child of God, and I deserve to be treated as such.

So, for those of you who are tweeting these, PLEASE STOP. You're the same ones who promote not letting stigma get in the way of human life in cases of abortion and euthanasia. This is exactly the same thing. It is respect for every child of God, no matter what illness, disease, or imperfection we might have. There has been no punishment from God, but we are judged by others because you think that there is.

Please find another way to promote abstinence other than calling those of us with STDs names, and placing labels on us. It's not right, and it's not Christian. Cut. It. Out.

2 comments:

  1. The ease of sending messages, via Twitter and other forms of SMS, brings out the idiot in most people. We are captivated by its accessibility and immediacy. We don't think about the fact that it's accessible and immediate to everybody else. The law has yet to keep up with it, and bloggers (to give an example) can essentially be libelous without consequence.

    Feel free to write me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    Tweeting things like that might make the person feel better, but it does nothing to improve the culture or reduce STIs.

    ReplyDelete